NOTE: We are still looking for volunteers interested in working with young people on a Monday evening. We are also looking for existing volunteers interested in taking part in a women’s project (see the news page for more details).
Refugee Action York (RAY) was founded in 2002 to challenge myths and misconceptions about refugees and asylum seekers and to raise awareness of the contribution refugees and asylum seekers make to our society.
Since it was founded RAY’s work has expanded considerably and now includes:
- Running a weekly Sunday support session (The Hub) for asylum seeker, refugee and migrant families at Clifton Children’s Centre providing English language classes for adults, an information and support service, regular talks and advice sessions from a wide range York services and organisations, Turkish language classes for young Turkish speaking people, Key Stage 1 maths sessions and a range of activities for young people and adults
- In conjunction with the City of York Council, running a weekly youth group for teenagers from minority ethnic backgrounds
- Outreach with and for the asylum, refugee and migrant community in the City of York
- Campaigning on behalf of local asylum seeking individuals and families and who are under threat of detention and deportation
- Organising the annual Refugee Week in York as part of a national and international awareness raising campaign
- Events during and outside Refugee Week such as: information stalls in York city centre, film evenings at the City Screen, comedy evenings, exhibitions and panel debates with a range speakers
In April 2009 RAY appointed a part-time co-ordinator to manage The Hub and to support the expanding group of volunteers. In August 2009 RAY became a registered charity and in September 2010 RAY recruited a second part-time staff member to act as deputy to the co-ordinator.
RAY is dependent on voluntary donations for its work and a printable Gift Aid form can be found here. If you would like to donate online, please click here. If you would like to find out more about the work we do or make a donation please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered Charity No. 1130980
PATRON: Baroness Afshar of Heslington