NOTE: We are currently looking for volunteers to work with younger service users on a Monday evening. Please get in touch if you are interested and we can supply more information.
Refugee Action York (RAY) was founded in 2002 to challenge myths and misconceptions about refugees and asylum seekers and to raise awareness of the contribution refugees and asylum seekers make to our society.
Since it was founded RAY’s work has expanded considerably and now includes:
- Running a weekly Sunday drop-in for asylum seeker, refugee and migrant families at Clifton Children’s Centre providing English and Turkish language classes, a sign-posting service, regular talks and advice sessions from a wide range York services and organisations and a range of activities and classes for young people and adults
- Outreach with and for the asylum, refugee and migrant community in the City of York
- Campaigning on behalf of local asylum seeking individuals and families and who are under threat of detention and deportation
- Organising the annual Refugee Week in York as part of a national and international awareness raising campaign
- Events during and outside Refugee Week such as: information stalls in York city centre, film evenings at the City Screen, comedy evenings, exhibitions and panel debates with a range speakers
In April 2009 RAY appointed a part-time co-ordinator to manage the drop-in and to support the expanding group of volunteers. In August 2009 RAY became a registered charity and in September 2010 RAY recruited a second part-time staff member to act as deputy to the drop-in co-ordinator.
RAY is dependent on voluntary donations for its work and a printable Gift Aid form can be found here. If you would like to donate online, please click here. If you would like to find out more about the work we do or make a donation please email@example.com
Registered Charity No. 1130980
PATRON: Baroness Afshar of Heslington